[Texmacs-dev] Keyboard handling

From: David Allouche
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Keyboard handling
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 16:08:20 +0200

I am having a look at the online documentation, and I happened to
noticed some problems with keyboard handling. At first I assumed the
document was just outdated, but then I examined kbd-emacs.scm and
saw that its intent matched the documentation.

The problems are:

    Multiple [escape] are not bound to [A-] and [H-] modifiers, and
    generally all those definitions seem to be ignored:

    (set-post-wildcards
      ("escape" "M-" #t)
      ("escape escape" "A-" #t)
      ("escape escape escape" "H-" #t)
      ("escape escape escape escape" "noop" #t)
      ("A-C-" "H-" #t)
      ("H-" "F5" #t)
      ("H-C-" "F6" #t)
      ("H-C-S-" "S-F6" #t)
      ("H-A-" "F7" #t)
      ("H-M-" "F8" #t)

    math:x prefix defined to be F5..F8 are not applied. That is even
    visible from the tooltips of the greek, bold, etc. menus.

    [A-] shortcuts for accents are disabled, yet [M-] shortcuts for
    accents do work. I made sure that was not a pb of modifier
    configuration by looking at the feedback in the window footer.

Well... there are probably more, but that is all I have found for the
moment.

Other complaints:

    I have not redefined caps-lock (it keeps its std behaviour) and I
    noticed it still behave like SHIFT w.r.t. to shortcuts, which is
    BAD!

    Also, there are still shortcuts which read "M-C" instead of
    "M-S-c" which is just confusing.

Kudos for the new kbd handling:

    Well... there are still some good things with the new kbd handling
    code.

    For non alphabetic character I agree that "S" must not be
    explicit, because the layout may change and uppercase is
    ill-defined. And for action keys (tab, return, bacspace,
    arrows...) the S modifier is explicit.

    Alt-Gr seems to be handled properly now. Esp. it now has the
    expected compose functionality on my dvorak layout :-)

    The numeric keypad now works proprely, and is properly modified by
    num-lock and shift. That feels good.

    It is now possible to rebind the unmodified [space] key.

There a probably more goodies, too bad changes in the code are so
badly advertised.

--
David Allouche         | GNU TeXmacs -- Writing is a pleasure
Free software engineer |    http://www.texmacs.org