[Texmacs-dev] Re: Picture

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Picture
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 18:07:49 +0200 (MET DST)

> When you insert a picture an dialog window is opened. In the windows
> there are two lines where you can read widht and height. There you
> shoul put the scaling factor. For example if you want the picture
> resized to the half, you must type there '*.5' (without ' and '). If
> you don't want to change the aspect ratio you can specify different
> scaling factors. The scaling factor can be bigger or smaller than 1.
> Don't forget to type the *.
>
> I am preparing a little howto about graphics and Texmacs, ther you can
> find a more detail explanation. An early draft in English is in
> <http://www.udl.es/usuaris/w3511782/texmacs/>. I hope that in a  few
> days we have a better document in English and translations to French
> and to Spanish.

I now managed to see your howto.
Congratulations and thanks for this useful documentation.
After your improvements, would you agree to include it in the tutorial?
Here are a few comments in case of:

  * It is good to keep the screenshots as small as possible.
    At the moment, this is better when we want to compile
    a complete manual with page breaks which are not too ugly.
    Of course, this requirement cannot always be met,
    but please keep it in mind...

  * In the tutorial, the screenshots will be placed in separate files;
    this is easier for translators. I also introduced new markup
    "screenshot" and "icon" in TeXmacs-1.0.0.20 which will automatically
    search for images in the appropriate directories.

  * Other examples of scaling: "/2" instead of "*.5",
    "*2/3", "10cm", etc.

  * Please put the original purpose of your howto (octave graphics)
    at the end, so that nothing depends on it. Indeed, octave might
    directly output the graphics to TeXmacs in the future.
    In that case, your howto remains useful for understanding
    how to include images. Notice that you may also create a section
    about "inclusions" instead of images; the mechanism is similar.

Thanks again for your help,

Joris