Re: [Texmacs-dev] string encoding

From: Felix Breuer
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] string encoding
Date: 18 Nov 2002 22:43:46 +0100

> The next step is the support of most standard encodings.
> The most important ones are Html, ISO-8859-* and Unicode.

A first draft of the dictionary mapping Cork (TeXmacs) encoding to
Unicode encoding is now finished. You can take a look at it here:

http://www.fbreuer.de/texmacs/corktounicode.scm

Any suggestions and/or corrections are welcome. Does anybody have an
idea how to test this mapping? (I.e. generate a document/table where one
can visually verify that the mapping is correct?)

I didn't make a patch from the dictionary because I don't know where to
put it in the TeXmacs source tree. How to use this dictionary to convert
between encodings? I guess just a bit of Scheme code would do the trick,
but I don't know Scheme well enough (yet).

Next, I am going to write a TeXmacs universal encoding <-> Unicode
dictionary. I noticed that sometimes the universal characters are
encoded this way: \<char\> and sometimes this way: <char>. Which of
these two should I use in the dictionary? Or should I use just char?

Regarding ISO-8859-*: I noticed that ISO-8859-1 is a subset of Unicode
(see  ftp://unicode.org/Public/MAPPINGS/ISO8859/8859-1.TXT). How about
the other ISO-8859-* encodings? Instead of writing a dictionary it would
probably be more sensible to just use iconv to convert
ISO-8859<->Unicode.

Cheers,
Felix.