[Texmacs-dev] Notes on translation

From: Teemu Ikonen
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Notes on translation
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:59:33 +0200

Hi everybody,

I tested texmacs 1.0.0.22 and the Finnish translation and, as expected, had
to make some corrections. The new translation is again in
http://www.physics.helsinki.fi/~tpikonen/texmacs/

Besides errors in my translation, I found some issues with translation
strings:

General weirdness:
------------------

"custum-tab"  (should be "custom-tab"?)

"load latex file"
"load LaTeX file"
"load tex file"
"load TeX file" (inconsistensy)

"tilda" (should this be "tilde"?)

"no name" is in the translation strings for the menu item for the initial
blank file in the Go menu. The name of the file in the window header is
still "no name", even if the string is translated.

Same string, different concept bugs
-----------------------------------

"letter" (name of a papersize and name of a style)

"axiom" (as in environment and as a CAS)

"times" (as in operator * and as a font name)

"minus" (as in operator - and as a dash in itemize in status bar)

"dot" (used instead of bullet when itemizin in statusbar,
       this should be changed)

"roman" (as in roman numeral and as a font name)

Missing strings:
----------------

In the load dialog, the "Suffixes:" field.

In Edit->Preferences->Keyboard, the modiefier submenus (A modifier etc.),
the same goes for strings containing "modifier" in the submenus under this
one.

The string "Finnish" in Edit->Preferences->Language and Format->Language.
In the Document->Language menu the option Finnish is missing from the GUI
completely.

Insert->Executable->Text->Find file

In Document->Color->Background, Light grey, Dark grey and Broken white.

Table->Vertical table alignment->Fraction bar height

In Table->Cell operation mode submenu, no items are in the translation strings

Table->Horizontal cell alignment->Baseline

Table->Vertical cell alignment->Baseline

Table->Special cell properties->Subtable

In Table->Special cell properties->Hyphenation->Multi-paragraph, "Multi" is
not translated. Menu strings composed of separately translatable substrings
are a very bad idea IMHO.

"More information on on GNU TeXmacs can be found..." One of the welcome
strings shown in the status bar.

"item" in status bar when itemizing etc.

"alpha" in statusbar when enumarating with a, b, c, ...

And I still have to say that separating everything that gets written to the
document from the GUI entries would be nice...

I hope someone more familiar with the source than me will fix these.

Best wishes,

Teemu