[Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute in t

From: Stephan Mucha
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs on Cygwin finally runs - How can I contribute in the further development?
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2002 16:32:44 +0100

Hello,

thanks to the very complete instructions of Bill Page
(http://mail.gnu.org/pipermail/texmacs-dev/2002-November/000867.html)
I finally succeeded in compiling and installing TeXmacs on cygwin.
Thanks a lot, Bill.

I think, there should be at least a link to Bills summary on the
official TeXmacs site, because it took me a lot of time to get the
program running and for other people it is surely the same.
I have one additional thing to his instructions:

>The fourth change involes the log2 function in
>the module shrink.cc located in
>
>  $ cd Resource/Bitmap_fonts
>  $ vi shrink.cc
>
>Since log2 conflicts with a name known to gcc
>and isn't really needed anyway, I just changed
>'log2' to 'log2x' on line 17.

IMHO, this part lacks the change of 'log2' to 'log2x' in line 196.

Now, because the program works I'm thinking in contributing to the
further development. What I really would like to have
(and I think a lot of people do) is a system that combines word
processing, input and output from text files (mainly ascii data) and
mathmatics (including plotting) interactively. That means, I'm hoping
that it would be possible in the future to combine shell comands,
gnuplot, mathematical systems like different cas or octave to a free,
much more costumizible, higher quality and a little more ;-) stable
'MathCad'-like environment. It is vital for this purpose, that it is
possible to change certain values or commands or equations and program
changes everthing that depends on this item immediately.

I hope that I can contribute in this field. Please send me any kind of
comments, hints for possible ways to do this within the existing
philosophy of TeXmacs, your suggestions, how parts of this can be done
with the present functionality and so on ...

--
Regards,

Stephan Mucha
mailto:address@hidden