Re: [Texmacs-dev] Searching the mailing list archives

From: Igor V. Kovalenko
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:03:40 +0300

One problem is that I know no good tool to search the mailing list
archives. Currently, when I want to retrieve some mail I use a Python
script to produce a mbox containing relevant threads from my personal
archives. That is far from ideal since direct hit are not
differentiated from indirect hits (other messages of the thread).

Also, it must be considered that interesting threads may span several
archive mbox (users, dev, private mail).

One good thing to do for the future might be to add some special
markup when one posts a message which he consider can be of lasting
interest. For example there could be something like a keyword line
looking like.

You can't be sure one won't abuse the feature. And this list is unmoderated
AFAIK.

[keywords: search mailing list archive]
for this specific mail

[keywords: axiom CAS interface literate programming lp pamphlet]
for plans about Axiom

Another problem is that some mails may appear interesting in
retrospect, and conversely, threads should not always be retrieved
completely. So there might be a use for additional annotation, and
even for external annotation. But I have no idea how that should be
done.

Any idea?

No automation I know of.

--
Regards,
Igor V. Kovalenko    mailto: iko at crec dot mipt dot ru