Re: Responder: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Responder: Re: Responder: Re: [Fink-use

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: Responder: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Responder: Re: Responder: Re: [Fink-users] Disabling texmacs dirty hacks (fwd)
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 19:06:07 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 address@hidden wrote:
> In this way (adding computer languages as mzscheme as CAS sessions)
> can we add support for other scripting languages as Python, Perl or
> Ruby?

Yes, but it would not really be a *scripting language*,
since the Guile primitives for writing editing functions
will not be available.

This way of proceeding would only allow you use Python, Perl
or Ruby as in a shell and improve things by writing nice structured
output routines for certain types of objects.

Of course, we *can* provide an additional routine to execute
a scheme command. You may then write a Python, Perl or Ruby interface
for the routines which interest you. However, this is not very systematic,
so it seems a big like a waste of time to me...

The right way for adding additional scripting languages would be
to construct clean interfaces for all routines written in Guile.
We have started to do this with the module system and
the type information, but this is far from being finished.

Before getting there, it might be better to stabilize the Guile API,
to write good documentation for it, and also to write programs for
*automatically* generating documentation. For instance,
a routine for searching a particular routine from within TeXmacs and
displaying the corresponding help, type or source code.