RE: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs For Windows Updated

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: RE: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs For Windows Updated
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2003 11:24:59 +0200 (CEST)

Hi,

I managed to find a laptop yesterday for trying the Windows
version of TeXmacs. A great job! Here are some points
for improvement:

1) Installation: this should be simplified later on;
   It would be good to have one installer (instead of three)
   for all TeXmacs dependencies and one installer for TeXmacs itself.

2) I also noticed some odd things with the default installation
   directories. When installing from CD, the D: drive is
   proposed as the default installation directory for MiKTeX and
   TeXmacs. I think that one should always use C:. Also, you should
   unpack in a C:\TeXmacs or C:\TeXmacs-version directory.

3) You might create an uninstaller for TeXmacs in the Start menu.

4) Should Ghostscript be installed before or after MiKTeX?
   I noticed a gs\fonts directory during the installation
   of MiKTeX.

5) The TeXmacs, TeX, LaTeX, etc. macros display a strange <'>
   at the end.

6) Including images works, but not linking images.

7) The "Go" menu does not work for files with an absolute file name
   (might be due to spaces in the file name). Probably 5 and 6 are
   due to a similar filename related bug. I suggest to solve it
   after merging with the mainline and the new url system.

8) mktexpk and mktextfm are not found, so no new fonts are generated.
   Also, many fonts which exist inside MiKTeX are not available
   via the Format -> Text menu.

9) Menus are quite buggy.

10) The wheelmouse does not work.

11) Some keys do not work.

12) The presentation mode does not work. If you have time,
    it would be great if you could take a detailed look at this
    issue, both for the Linux and Windows versions. Notice that
    there are a few other X-related things which are still buggy
    in the Linux version too (copy & paste for certain window
    managers, color allocation, the position of popups).
    Your help would be very much appreciated there too.

Best wishes, and many thanks, Joris