Re: [Texmacs-dev] DOM and TeXmacs roadmap (was: getting involved into to

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] DOM and TeXmacs roadmap (was: getting involved into to Scheme)
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 16:11:17 +0200

On Thu, Jul 10, 2003 at 03:19:44PM +0200, David Allouche wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2003 at 11:55:39PM +0200, Immanuel Normann wrote:
> > I'd like to get familiar with Scheme as TeXmacs extension language. I
> > already know Scheme but not how it is used in TeXmacs and there is not
> > to much documentation on it. Also I looked at the source
> > TeXmacs/progs/... But then i decided to ask you where the best starting
> > point is!
>
> That is a good question...

If you want an idea on how things work, I suggest you skim the scheme
files in the order in which they are loaded in the init-texmacs.scm
file.

You should not pay excessive attention to the definition of syntactic
extensions for modules, functions, drd and srfis. In some case there
are comments giving useful references (check srfi.schemers.org), in
other cases you should get a sufficient understanding just by seeing
how they are used in the rest of the scheme code.

Important points of focus are the srfi.scm, base.scm and string.scm
libraries which provide common scheme libraries. You should also check
the the various "tools" directory which cointain in-progress utility
libraries.

Another currently-reorganized part which is important is the plugin
system. Contributed extensions to texmacs should be loaded using this
mechanism, a better documentation on this part should come in the next
weeks.

If you are interested in more bleeding edge developments, you may find
a use in checking the build-glue-*.scm files in the source
distribution. They provide the list of all scheme primitives defined
by texmacs. Beware however, these primitives are often fragile and
require some knowledge of the internal working of texmacs. You may
find some help by grepping for occurences of these primitives in the
scheme code.

--
                                                            -- ddaa