[Texmacs-dev] CVS

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] CVS
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:48:08 +0200 (CEST)

OK, I understand from the previous messages that there is some
interest in having a CVS archive, mainly for those who want to
keep a precise track of changes. For patches, and the kind of
contributions you speak about, the current patch system should be
adequate though, after reading David's help page.

On the other hand, I am getting *very bored* by doing *a lot of*
uninteresting things for TeXmacs, so I only want to spend
a reasonable amount of time on them. Setting up a CVS thing and
getting used to that will clearly take me several days at least and
a week or so at worst, not to speak about possible losses of
information due to the sillyness of me or CVS. If we want
to use a standard tool, then we nevertheless should use CVS,
because it most widely "accepted".

Now I am constantly being pushed for making many kinds of changes,
some of which are important, but uninteresting from my point of view.
Improving the web-site is another good example. My policy is to
make these changes *slowly* but *continuously*, when I do not have
the energy for doing something more interesting.

Also all boring changes depend on the cooperation that I get from others.
For instance, the rewriting of the web site using TeXmacs depends on good
export(/import) filters for Html. David has been working on this since
nine month already, so there has been significant delay. As a general rule,
I make boring changes only when I can "catch  several flies" at
the same time.

So the strategy I will follow is the following:
  1) Start creating the new web-site in TeXmacs on the TeXmacs-doc.
  2) David finishes the tools to automatically create the Html web-site.
  3) David implements a webdav interface for TeXmacs.
  4) I work on better collaborative ways for TeXmacs development
     and documentation. Maybe CVS, maybe something built-in.

The corresponding schedule should be as follows:
  1) In about one or two weeks; suggestions and translators
     will soon be welcome.
  2) One month from now.
  3) Depends on David.
  4) During spring 2004.