Re: [Texmacs-dev] Bug in tm 1.0.2

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Bug in tm 1.0.2
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:46:31 +0100 (CET)

> > So tm should save documents when mode was altered.
>
> This can be fixed simply by adding
>
>   buf->need_save= buf->need_autosave= true;
>
> at line 390 of edit_typeset.cc
>
> Maybe modulo a few minor fixes so new and loaded documents have a clean
> state.
>
> What I wonder is _why_ this is not already done since most nearby
> functions do handle the the dirty flags...
>
> Joris, is there some deep reason for this, or is this just a "oops, did
> not occur to me"? There have been wish items and bug reports since
> forever about that issue, and there never was an explanation for the
> current behaviour.

The point is the confusion between documents and views here.
Sometimes, a change in the initial environment should rather
be interpreted as a change in the view (no change in the document)
and sometimes not. What we really need is a clean extra level for views,
but that is quite tricky. I plan to study this carefully when
elaborating the new document editing model.