[Texmacs-dev] Absolute versus relative file:... paths

From: Nix
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Absolute versus relative file:... paths
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:04:58 -0700

Hi !

I would like to complain about the absolute-path references TeXmacs
makes to, say, PostScript images.

The story:  I tend to convert my lecture notes to TeXmacs.  As a result,
I usually have one directory containing a file called lectures.tm and a
subdirectory called figures containing, you guessed it, figures
referenced from lectures.tm .  When I want to continue typing in my
class notes on a different computer, I merely sftp the top-level
directory over.  However, the location of my home directory on that
other computer may be different from the location of my home directory
on the originating computer.

Absolute path references in the TeXmacs file thus invalidate the
location of all the pictures and I get a big, red,

+---+
| ? |
+---+

for every picture I link to.

This can be fixed with running lectures.tm through sed, but I'd rather
not have to do that.

Can we make the URLs relative to the location of the TeXmacs file ?

I realize that in some cases, this would result in

file:../../../Media/figures/eps/filename.eps

and other such ugly constructs.

I believe that most users expect that if they maintain the position of
the figures relative to the TeXmacs file, then TeXmacs will continue to
correctly find those figures.  This is not the case if absolute paths
are employed, and the documents (figures and all) are moved around from
account to account.