Re: [Texmacs-dev] How to visualize data structures?

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] How to visualize data structures?
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 19:24:59 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Salman Khilji wrote:
> (gdb) p *def.rep->t.rep
> $14 = {
>   <concrete_struct> = {
>     ref_count = 1,
>     _vptr.concrete_struct = 0x82bc910
>   },
>   members of tree_rep:
>   op = 137
> }

I am afraid that this is a shortcoming of the gdb debugger.
The information is fine for simple data structures, but not very
convenient for the data structures with several indirections
we use in TeXmacs.

In fact, what the gdb guys *should* implement is a customizable
C++ method for printing objects in debugging mode. Maybe this
is already possible in some way, without me being aware of this.
As to myself, I only occasionnaly use gdb in order to find out
where TeXmacs crashes. I use "<<" lines in the source code for
the inspection of data.