Re: [Texmacs-dev] Please advertise TeXmacs-1.0.4

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Please advertise TeXmacs-1.0.4
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 2004 12:36:06 +0200 (CEST)

Hi David,

On Tue, 3 Aug 2004, David MENTRE wrote:
> Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> writes:
> > I just released the new stable version 1.0.4 of TeXmacs.
> > Please advertise for it around you and on sites like
> > Slashdot, Linux-fr, etc. You find the official announcements
> > attached to this message.
>
> I've just submitted a news for Linuxfr.org.

Thanks a lot! We really have to try hard to make more publicity...

> BTW...
>
> >   * Thorough reorganization of the style files, implementation of
> >     "mutator" tags, and location-awareness of internal trees.
>
> ... I had issues to translate the above sentence. What does mean
> ""mutators" tags" and "location-awareness of internal trees"?

This sentence (at the end) was mainly intended for people who know
about the TeXmacs development.

Mutator tags are tags which continuously update themselves by
the means of Scheme scripts. This is quite a new feature and nice exemples
will be provided when I have more time. It makes it much easier to
interface TeXmacs with highly dynamic systems like theorem provers,
live conferencing, animations and video, etc. If there are volunteers
for developing such features, I can detail further.

Location-awareness of internal trees means that the internal tree data
structure now contains a method to retrieve the position of the tree
in the document. This make it possible, from the knowledge of the tree
only, to assign the tree with a new value and have the document
automatically updated. You may see this like the TeXmacs analogue of
the XML DOM. This feature may also be used in scheme scripts.

Yours, Joris