Re: [Texmacs-dev] TrueType fonts for PDF export as default?

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TrueType fonts for PDF export as default?
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 2004 10:15:14 +0200

On Thursday 09 September 2004 08:55, Jan Ulrich Hasecke wrote:
> Norbert Nemec wrote:
> > My suggestion would be to spare other users of this odyssee and make
> > True Type fonts the default for PDF export? Printing and exporting to
> > PS should probably stick with the high-quality EC fonts, but PDF are
> > very often used for display on screen, so they should - by default -
> > be optimized for that purpose.
>
> AFAIK all these fonts differ slightly from on another. So you always
> have to typeset them properly, before exporting.

Are you sure? As I understand it, the quality of the output will differ, but
the spacing of the different fonts should be identical, so the document
should not need to be typeset newly.

> But one note to PDF. The newest Acrobat for M$ and Mac(?) supports the
> normal TeX-fonts. I don't know the right word for these fonts. But it
> works.

Nice, but what does "the newest Acrobat" mean? experience tells me, that for
presentations, one should be very conservative and never expect to have the
newest Acrobat at hand.

Furthermore: producing PDFs that "just work" with Acroread is really not good
enough for a tool that claims to be professional quality. Acroread is very
tolerant when it comes to certain errors in the PDF file, but if the PDF file
eploits that freedom and does not stick to the proper standard, it will soon
or later cause problems, either with some new version of Acroread itself or
in some other context.

--
        Altdorfer Str. 9a ... D-93049 Regensburg