Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs interface to R 2.0.0 is broken

From: M. Edward Borasky
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs interface to R 2.0.0 is broken
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 2004 02:01:00 -0800

On Tue, 2004-11-09 at 10:14 -0500, address@hidden wrote:

> Yeah, I found that. I think what needs to be done is this:
>
> R has a separate package management interface. So TeXmacs needs to carry the R
> plugin as a "standard" R source package tarball. During the configure step,
> TeXmacs should check for the existence of R. There are two possibilities:
>
> 1. R is present. In that case, the TeXmacs install should execute the *R
> package
> installation* on the source package. It should leave the R package behind in a
> documented place. Users with an older version of R who upgrade to R 2.0.0 will
> need to rebuild the package. That's what happened to the original poster and
> me.
>
> 2. R is absent. In that case, the TeXmacs install should leave the R package
> on
> the system in source tarball form and give the user instructions for
> installing
> it when they install R.
>
> Since it doesn't seem to be a very volatile piece of code, you might want to
> contribute the R TeXmacs interface library to the CRAN repository, so someone
> with R and TeXmacs can get the package that way.

I was unable to get this to work with R 2.0.0. I'm not sure why it
didn't work; I did what was required by R. In any event, R 2.0.1 came
out on the 15th of November. I just tested this, and it appears to work
for the R piece. I am just about to test with TeXmacs 1.0.4.4 to see if
I have a solid fix. In any event, the R package can't be build with R
2.0.0; you need 2.0.1.