Running Axiom in Texmacs for Windows (was: [Texmacs-dev] Plugins)

From: Page, Bill
Subject: Running Axiom in Texmacs for Windows (was: [Texmacs-dev] Plugins)
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 00:44:50 -0500

Dan,

I know this would not be considered a final solution, but
I have found a way to work around the problems of compiling
tm_axiom.c under windows. tm_axiom.c uses the unix-isms fork
and pipe which are not available under vanilla windows so
tm_axiom.c would have to be seriously re-written in order
to run under native Windows.

But I found that if I copied tm_axiom.exe from the cygwin
distribution of texmacs (which I also happen to have on
this system)

  C:\cygwin\usr\sbin\TeXmacs\bin\tm_axiom.exe

and the cygwin library

  C:\cygwin\bin\cygwin1.dll library

into

  C:\Program Files\WinTeXmacs\TeXmacs\bin

then the new version of Axiom for Windows works with Texmacs
for Windows! Of course cygwin is providing the fork and pipe
emulation that is needed for the unix version of tm_axiom.

In principle, tm_axiom.c is a fairly simple filter program.
Perhaps you or someone on the texmacs-dev list could point
me to a simple example of a native Windows program that does
the same thing? I could try to produce a new version of
tm_axiom.c for the windows distribution.

Regards,
Bill Page.