Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] <Del> vs. <Cut>
Date: Sat, 15 Oct 2005 18:31:33 +0200

Guess, my wording was badly chosen: I spoke of "standard behavior" vs.
"TeXmacs behavior". TeXmacs does not follow the standards of most other
text editors.

What I call standard is the common behavior of KDE, Gnome, Windows (and
probably also MacOS) programs. They differ in details, but they are
converging more and more towards the same thing.

For marking and cut-and-paste, this would mean:
* mark text with the mouse, with <shift>-cursor-movement
* the cursor position is always at the marked text (even if the text was
marked using the mouse)
* copy marked text to buffer with <ctrl>-c
* cut marked text to buffer with <ctrl>-x
* unmark the marked text as soon as cursor is moved in any way
* delete any marked text with <del> or <backspace> (without touching the
buffer)
* replace any marked text when typing some character
* paste marked text to buffer with <ctrl>-v (replacing any marked text)

Note that TeXmacs-socalled-"Windows" behavior seriously deviates from
this standard!