Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs with Automake

From: David Allouche
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs with Automake
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:13:44 +0100

On Wed, 2005-12-28 at 15:19 +0900, Katsuyoshi Ohara wrote:
> (1) We can avoid to use the gnu make, and automake gives a better solution
>     than the gnu make.
>
>    Gnu make is used in linux distributions as the standard,
>    but it is not the standard in other unix or unix-like systems.
>    Although there is this disadvantage, I understand that people like
>    to use gnu make rather than the original make  to write a clean and
>    simple Makefile.
>    If you want to write a clean and simple Makefile,
>    why don't you try Makefile.am.
>    In fact, the Makefile.in and configure.in of TeXmacs are already
>    very complicated to me, because it supposes the gnu make.
>    It also causes a difficulty to understand the build procedure and
>    consequently discourages to port the TeXmacs to a new system.

By all means, please blast the insane GNU Make voodoo away.

I wrote it when I removed the gencc pre-processor from the build system,
and I was under stringent requirements of preserving all the
functionality of the existent build system. Also TeXmacs had quite
exotic build requirements and g++ (2.95) required large amounts of hand
holding. Finally I was never able to make head or tail of the automake
documentation.

Also, this makefile was largely in exercise in stretching the GNU Make
functionality. I was young and foolish at the time and indulged in
obscure hackery. This GNU Make dependency is a longstanding bug.
--
                                                            -- ddaa