[Texmacs-dev] Debugging memory management in TeXmacs

From: Lionel Elie Mamane
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Debugging memory management in TeXmacs
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2006 09:56:09 +0200

Hi,

If found a reproducible way to crash TeXmacs, but the test case is
_not_ small, and I have been unable to make it shorter. If someone
intimate with TeXmacs (Joris, Henri?) could help me debug this, I'd be
grateful. The crash happens when using my in-development Coq
integration for TeXmacs, but I don't think it probably my scheme code
is be the culprit: The error is that TeXmacs call free() on a pointer
that was not returned by malloc(), and it seems it happens at a point
where my (Scheme) code is not running. If you have any idea how an
error in my scheme code could trigger this error, I'm listening.

The error happens on both the Debian package and a fresh (Thursday 19
October) self-compiled CVS checkout. I wasn't able to get a meaningful
backtrace.

I see two ways we can work on that:

 - You help me in getting a meaningful backtrace, I do the running the
   program, etc and we communicate by email.

 - I give you an account on my machine, a file that exhibits the
   problem, and you look at it by running TeXmacs remotely on my
   machine through a SSH connection.

What I did to try to get a meaningful backtrace was:

 make clean
 ./configure --enable-debug CXXFLAGS='-O0 -ggdb'
 make
 make install

but nope. The backtrace is completely unusable. Maybe this means the
problem happens in Guile code rather than TeXmacs code? I have to
recompile Guile in debugging mode then?

Thanks in advance for any help,

--
Lionel