Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs promotion idea

From: Amir Michail
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs promotion idea
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 07:00:12 +1100

On 11/13/06, Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden> wrote:
> For example, when you go to the TeXmacs site, you could have a display
> of what people are doing with TeXmacs at that very moment. Every
> action is shown in real-time, but the actual text could be hidden to
> preserve people's privacy.

As a user, this kind of things would not increase my trust in the software.
Of course, I have already considered this kind of things in the past
(already to have a rough idea about the number of users myself),
but I decided to refrain from such intrusive policies.

It could be turned off by default. Only people interested in promoting
TeXmacs would turn it on.

Information gathering from application usage is not new, but doing it
in real-time for the purposes of advertising might be.

Amir

Best wishes, Joris