[Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs

From: Henri Lesourd
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: TeXmacs
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 12:23:08 +0100

Eugéne Suter wrote:
> Well, 1.8.1 did the same thing, so I'll do a static compilation.
> However, ./configure --help does not indicate how to proceed with a static compile.
> Can you please indicate what extra flags are needed?

Eugéne Suter wrote:

After looking through the website again i did find the procedure using make STATIC_TEXMACS, and using Guile 1.6.8.
However the build fails anyways with this error:

Objects/dyn_link.o(.text+0x1347): In function `symbol_install(string, string, void*&)': : warning: Using 'dlopen' in statically linked applications requires at runtime the shared libraries from the glibc version used for linking /usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/3.4.6/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -liconv
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [Objects/texmacs-static.bin] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/easuter/software/compiled/TeXmacs-1.0.6.6-src/src'
make: *** [STATIC_TEXMACS] Error 2

Argh.

But it seems that you can compile, you just get a problem
with the linking (namely, some library cannot be found) :
<<
/usr/lib/gcc/i486-slackware-linux/3.4.6/../../../../i486-slackware-linux/bin/ld: cannot find -liconv
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

After some googling, it appears to me that installing
the iconv library, cf. :
<<
http://www.gnu.org/software/libiconv/

is rather likely the thing to do to solve your problem.

This address@hidden Guile compilation problem is
plaguing TeXmacs since 6 months now, so if
there is nobody else to have a look at this, I will
perhaps consider doing it (if it is feasible at all...).

By the way, are there any forums where i can post for TeXmacs specific help?

The one currently in the cc is the right one,
all the more because this problem goes a little
bit beyond my competencies & usual activities
in TeXmacs (although as I said, this problem
is lasting till a little bit long time, now...).

The two main forums for TeXmacs are :
<<
Developers: address@hidden
Users: address@hidden

You can find all the details (as well as pointers on
the archives) at :
<<
http://www.texmacs.org/tmweb/home/ml.en.html

Best, Henri