Re: [Texmacs-dev] Roadmap

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Roadmap
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2007 18:18:49 +0100

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 10:58:38AM -0600, Corey Sweeney wrote:
> If your going to make M$ keybindings default on linux/unix platforms,
> would you be willing to pop a user-notification window on first run
> (on the linux/unix platforms)? (perhaps if no config option has been
> set in the config files? (then it would be the first run of the "new
> version" of texmacs))

I probably should consider this, but users don't tend to like all kinds
of startup messages (I usually don't pay attention to them unless
they are very short and just tell me where to get some information).
Anyway, M$ has no patents on keybindings and all major Linux applications
except Vi and Emacs tend to adopt the M$ way of life. Not being compatible
will rather harm than help the expansion of TeXmacs, I fear...

> And of course I have to comment on:
> Replace the current widget system by a markup-based system, with the
> possibility to use widgets (from Gtk, Qt, Aqua, etc.) from standard
> GUI's instead of the TeXmacs-provided style files.  :)
>
> If it's markup based, then does that mean it'll be functional?
> (functional as in "no state", not functional as in "it works" :)

Well, there are modifyable states, like in scheme, with set!.
Hence, it is not like Haskell, if that is what you want.
In fact it really has the same spirit as Scheme.

> In some ways it seems like a crime to create a new GUI API, but it
> sounds like you might be about to do something interesting, so I'm
> gonna sit back and watch, then complain later :D

Take a look at the file TeXmacs/kernel/gui/gui-test.scm
in the latest CVS version (as advertised in a recent post on texmacs-dev).
In a Scheme session, you may try

        (use-modules (kernel gui gui-test.scm))
        (widget-popup "Copy" '(widget-5))
        (widget-popup "Counter" '(widget-6))
        (interactive-popup replace-start-forward)

Of course, any help would be appreciated.

Best wishes, Joris