Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs-windows-fonts-1.0-noarch.tar.gz for everybody?

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs-windows-fonts-1.0-noarch.tar.gz for everybody?
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2007 17:37:04 +0100

On Tue, Feb 27, 2007 at 05:13:24PM +0100, Norbert Nemec wrote:
> I just investigated a problem of EC fonts embedded as bitmapped version
> in PDF files despite the preference setting for Type1 fonts.
>
> As it turned out, the standard TeTeX packaged installed on our
> Linux-machines does not contain any Type1 version of the EC fonts.
>
> May it be that the recommendation on the web-site to install the full
> font package should be expanded beyond Windows users? The EC fonts are
> the default of TeXmacs and even with up-to-date TeX installations, their
> Type1 version does not seem to be installed by default.

Isn't this clear from the website?

        Although TeXmacs is able to automatically generate bitmap analogues for
the extra fonts,
        this process may take some time at a first run. Type 1 fonts are also
rendered better
        by certain Pdf viewers and they are often preferred by publishers.

In any case, yes: it is recommended to download the extra type 1 EC fonts.
Since internet access is getting faster, I consider including them into
the binary distributions. Packagers should make "TeXmacs" depend on
"TeXmacs-fonts".