[Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX

From: Abdelrazak Younes
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 23:12:24 +0200

Henri Lesourd wrote:
Abdelrazak Younes wrote:

Henri Lesourd wrote:

I want none of these alternatives, all these things
look like it would bloat the software rather than
helping.

These things could help you saving some time

It looks like it will save you time, but in practice,
the risk is spending much more time in managing the
new dependencies it introduces.

It's not clever at all to depend on Qt's XML parser,
for as soon as you do this, you need the Qt lib
installed on your target system *all the time*.

So? There's a high probability that this lib will be installed anyway on your system if you already make use of QtGui...

That's definitely not what we want.

If we follow this reasoning, it is not worth using any helper library because it causes bloat... libc is even too much bloat, let's just go back to basics and program in assembler :-)

to concentrate on the word processor thing but that's not your business, I understand that now.

Improving the word processor is a separated
business, and the related code is completely
independent from any toolkit.

Ahh... good!

In fact, word processing has nothing to do
with widgets, for everything occurs inside
a specific widget (i.e. the "editor" widget),
and the job of the editor is mainly reading
keyboard and mouse, and drawing on the canvas.

Good (and logical too). So, AFAIU, one has everything in hand if he wants to create a Qt GUI directly on top of this "editor" (I mean without your glue library). That's good news indeed.

If C++ were so good, people would use it to write OS
code: it turns out that neither UNIX code, neither the
windows kernel code is written in C++.

So??? A kernel has nothing to do with GUI programming. You want to be close to the hardware and be as fast a possible when doing kernel programming, you cannot beat C there, granted. A GUI is user bound and a user triggered action does not have to be fast on all operations. And when you want to be fast, you can unleash the power of C that is still available when you do C++. /me wonder why so many people uses C++...

You are doing a lot of generalisation here. And you know what? some people do kernel programming using C++. I did an in-kernel parallel port reading once in C++, I can't remember any problem. IIRC there's even some kernel that were entirely programmed in C++ (BeOS).

In my opinion, there are well principled reasons to
this, these people are not masochists, you know. It
only turns out that C++ is not a sufficiently robust
language, it is for example notorious that even
very well written C++ programs tend to be fragile
and hard to debug.

Sure, C-style pointers in spaghetti C-code is very easy to debug and is very robust too.

Abdel.