[Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX

From: Joris van der Hoeven
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Re: Compiling TexMacs on OSX
Date: Sun, 13 Jul 2008 19:07:22 +0200

Dear Abdel,

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 11:53:00AM +0200, Abdelrazak Younes wrote:
> Sorry in advance for my interruption in this list. I am a core developer
> of LyX and I would like to share my experience with you. Please, take it
> this way or simply ignore me if this advice sounds inappropriate.
>
> FYI, LyX has made the same mistake you are doing now with the so called
> "GUI independence project". At one point of time we had four frontends
> (xforms, Qt3, Qt4 and Gtk), I can assure that this was sucking an awful
> lot of energy and that was the main reason why the LyX GUI stagnated for
> *years* because every little change to the interface needed to be
> propagated to the four frontends. Now that we decided to concentrate on
> one frontend and that we eliminated the indirection introduced by the
> GUII project, things are moving faster than ever at user interface level.

Thank you for your advice. At this point, the Qt and Cocoa ports are still
at a pre-alpha stage, so we cannot really switch to another GUI yet.
However, you are probably right that we should concentrate on one GUI.
I am asking myself this question every now and then. I admit that
maintaining several GUIs at the same time seems frightening.
I am personally inclined to move towards Qt, because it is
portable and has native look and feel on most platforms.

> Side note: I don't see Texmacs as a competitor for LyX, they just fill
> different niches. And I am not interested in competition anyway :-)
> Actually I think there is a lot of room for collaboration between the
> two projects.

That is nice to hear; you are welcome.

Best wishes, Joris