Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] A few small patches
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:31:54 +0100

Joris van der Hoeven wrote:
Dear Norbert,
I am sorry to complexify the discussion for such a seemingly silly thing.
The point is that I took great pains to be strict on dependencies for
every single macro or catcode in the LaTeX converter. This is important
because it reduces the risk of strange errors due to conflicting
LaTeX packages (such errors really occur, believe me). It also keeps
the LaTeX conversion very clean.

Therefore, I just want to understand the issue and see if there is
an easy solution to the problem. What exactly does fontenc do for you?
If it just allows you to use some non-ASCII characters,
then maybe we could just use the catcode generation mechanism instead.
For which characters is fontenc really needed? If I can simply
drop the line about fontenc, what do we loose?
Actually, I have to reconstruct this myself from the pieces that I remember. It has been some time since I created this patch. It was in my private repository ever since.

As I see it now, fontenc should actually not be needed at all any more. I first put it in to correct the problem which I later solved cleanly by completing the translation table for CorkT1.

As it is, the latex converter simply assumes that everything is either CorkT1 or cyrillic. The former is now completely converted to catcodes. I have no idea about the latter.

This means that exported latex files should never contain any non-ascii characters (except in the case that they are defined in the header). fontenc should therefore never have any effect at all (except for correcting the.. hyphenation within latex).

This is all theory based on vague memories, but it seems to fit together now...