Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs name

From: Norbert Nemec
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] TeXmacs name
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 09:18:17 +0000

I am not sure whether the name "TeXmacs" has more advantages or more disadvantages. In my own field (theoretical physics) LaTeX is everywhere and the excellent LaTeX export is one of the most important features of TeXmacs. Having "TeX" in the name therefore is an advantage. On the other hand, it always means that you have to explain "It is like TeX and like emacs, but actually it is not quite like TeX or like emacs."

I like the suggestion Quipu.

The convention on Linux would then demand that Quipu is the Qt variant while kipu or khipu could be a KDE-enabled variant... :-)

Next, we could think about a mascott -- How about a snake that has one or more knots in it?

I have no idea about the PR effect of this whole idea. Guess, this really depends on how it is presented.

Greetings,
Norbert

Gubinelli Massimiliano wrote:
Dear all,
I would like to revive once more the debate on the name for the TeXmacs program. There are many reasons for believing that the current name does not serve very well the popularity of the program. I've just come across to another possibility (among many other already proposed and lost somewhere in the internet): Quipu (or kipu, or khipu) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu ). Apparently this is the ancient way Maya had to keep various kind of informations and seems to mean "knot" so there is some link with mathematics and with structured information. The images of Quipus make me think to trees (of TeXmacs tags).

Here en excerpt of the wikipedia page (nice and worth reading)

"
Most of the information recorded on the quipus consists of numbers in a decimal system;[1] see The encoding system below. Some of the knots, as well as other features such as color, are thought to represent non-numeric information, which has not been deciphered. It is generally thought that the system did not include phonetic symbols analogous to letters of the alphabet. However Gary Urton has suggested that the quipus used a binary system which could record phonological or logographicdata.
"

Best,
Massimiliano