Re: [Texmacs-dev] Compiling SVN on Linux

From: Sam Liddicott
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Compiling SVN on Linux
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2012 14:53:23 +0100

If you don't like to merge a branch into master then rebase the branch on master and then it becomes the new master.

git checkout branch
git rebase master

After the rebase and any fixups to make the branch commits apply to master,  then:

git checkout master
git reset --hard branch

Branch and master are now at the same place and branch could be deleted.  We only do reset like that's because after rebase the branch contains and builds on the master tip, so the reset just adds the rebased branch commits.

Rebasing like that will give you a set of clean patches to send to Joris with git format-patch.

If you send to Joris you would :

git svn rebase

So that you master is now on top of svn

And then something like

git format patch $( git merge-base svn/master master)  HEAD

Which spits out a bunch if patches ( or can upload to inappropriate drafts folder)  or something.

Joris will apply and when you next git svn rebase you patches should drop out as they are now upstream.

Like the Bible, reading git man pages again and again can give great personal insight!

Sam