Re: [Texmacs-dev] ubuntu, packages : several discussions on the list tex

From: marc lalaude-labayle
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] ubuntu, packages : several discussions on the list texmacs-dev
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2013 15:50:52 +0100

Hi,

in fact static tarball does have problem with my 13.10 64 bits ubuntu version.

I really do share the interest of Miguel but since i don't code i don't talk.

By the way, the svn version compiles and works like a charm under ubuntu 12.04 but shows some bugs under saucy.

ML

2013/11/20 Joris van der Hoeven <address@hidden>
Hi Miguel,

On Fri, Nov 15, 2013 at 02:16:14PM +0100, Miguel de Benito Delgado wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 12, 2013 at 6:00 PM, Joris van der Hoeven
> <address@hidden>wrote:
>
> > I think a .tar.gz remains the simplest option.
>
> IF one forgets about automatic updates. Or if we roll out our own
> auto-updates system. As I said it’s not difficult per se, just wasted
> effort since we have a proven mechanism for that, namely rpm.
>
> Why do you prefer writing an external tool to connect to the server, parse
> the xml, check for updates, download, unpack, verify the signature and
> install, instead of adding a few lines to the TeXmacs.spec file?

OK, then I have a nice challenge for you: produce a static rpm which works
on all Intel Linux architectures, evn those from about ten years ago.
Our current X11 static tarballs have this property.

Best wishes, --Joris