Re: [Texmacs-dev] Adding TeXmacs symbols to FriCAS math-mode input

From: Bill Page
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Adding TeXmacs symbols to FriCAS math-mode input
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2014 10:02:20 -0400

On 1 April 2014 05:12, François Poulain <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Le Fri, 28 Mar 2014 22:23:31 -0400,
> Bill Page <address@hidden> a écrit :
>
>> Yes they are interpreted in a useful way in the scheme session. I
>> guess scheme (at least the version used in TeXmacs) does not support
>> unicode.
>
> Actually this is not about Scheme. You have to undestand your
> generated Scheme as a data format rather than a language. This is like a
> serialization of the buffer tree manipulated by TeXmacs. And the
> (implicitly) expected charset of theses data is not utf8.

Now that many of the external programs to which TeXmacs interfaces are
able to use utf-8 it would be good if a new version of the TeXmacs
Scheme data format (say, scheme-utf-8 ) could be defined that
interpreted utf-8 characters as TeXmacs symbols. Then adding utf-8
support to any interface that currently uses scheme could be almost as
simple as writing "scheme-utf-8:" instead of "scheme:" in the
generated output.

In any case I now have a patch to the texmacs package in FriCAS that
does the utf-8 to Cork conversion. I have attached a draft FriCAS
patch, the modified fricas-input plugin and an example document (also
in PDF format).

More comments welcome!  If/when there are no objections or suggestions
I will clean it up and submit a final version.

Cheers,
Bill Page.