[Texmacs-dev] Some thoughts and concerns about the idea and proposal on

From: Yue, Xiang
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] Some thoughts and concerns about the idea and proposal on GSoC
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2020 23:28:34 +0800

Hi texmacs developers:

I'm an applicant of GSoC2020, and I just found texmacs in GNU GSoC page.
I'm not sure whether this project idea is uploaded few days ago (or not?) but, anyway, I found it pretty interesting to make some converting from texmacs to other format document. And I downloaded texmacs and found it making texting document with math symbols in a fun and easy way. I hope I can participate in the follow up works of the "converters" ideas, and I've cloned and started reading existing codes about improving converter. Basically I guess I would begin with collecting detailed differences of HTML and HTML5 and started what I can improve.
However here are my concerns: first, texmacs seems to be large and I'm not sure to whether I can write a well prepared coding plan since I need to deliver proposal in four days, not to mention that I cannot even propose a PR. I guess the only thing that I can do is to make a rough plan so I want to ask if that's okay; second, I'm pretty familiar with c++ development, but, as for scheme, I need a little bit time to recollect it since I haven't use it for a long time. I also notice these two form the code of converter part, which means I have to use them, but still I need roughly a week to recollect and read the code.
So I'd like to ask you if it is okay to write a proposal as a macro developing plan (of course, following the items designated in proposal writing guidance) without too much technical details.
Hope to collaborate with you soon and wish you all in good health :)

Best regards,
Xiang