Re: [Texmacs-dev] appimages

From: Giovanni Piredda
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] appimages
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2020 18:35:25 +0100

On 28.11.20 18:23, TeXmacs wrote:
On Sat, Nov 28, 2020 at 01:08:52PM +0100, Giovanni Piredda wrote:
A possible downside of an AppImage is that the software is not
available from the launcher. I do not know if the tools proposed in
the AppImage documentation website work well.
In that case, its advantage over the static binary packages is only very minor.
Just the launch process might be a bit simpler for certain users.

If the "static binary packages" are for example these

https://www.texmacs.org/Download/ftp/tmftp/generic/TeXmacs-1.99.16-C.tar.gz

quite surprisingly I have a TeXmacs icon available in the Xubuntu launcher.

I *think* that the only thing I did was setting

export TEXMACS_PATH=[installation directory]
export PATH=$TEXMACS_PATH/bin:$PATH

in /etc/profile.d/texmacs.sh

But I am not confident that I remember correctly.

The static package on Xubuntu 20.10 (and previous releases) creates a fontconfig directory in each directory that I use to startup TeXmacs from. There has been a discussion on the mailing list on this topic

(" Fontconfig created upon every start" by Fan Zhang, on 12.07.19), but I did not have the patience to read through the solutions; I am starting TeXmacs up just from a few directories as a workaround.

G.

Best wishes, --Joris