[Texmacs-dev] proper underline

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: [Texmacs-dev] proper underline
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2020 22:08:21 +0100

Dear all,

 I'm not very fond of the \underline style in TeXmacs. Even some browsers (e.g.
Safari) do better, in particular put the line nearer to the glyphs and take
into account descenders (e.g. "g" or "p").

TeX has similar problems and there are solutions around, e.g. here:

https://alexwlchan.net/2017/10/latex-underlines/

Also some CSS trickery can do something for most of the browsers:

https://css-tricks.com/styling-underlines-web/

I've experimented with similar solutions for TeXmacs. Using \superpose, \datom
and \thicken one can indeed create the wanted underline and it works also on
the generated PDF file, however \datom does not interact properly with
\superpose and one cannot have multiline underlines...

Is there a way to make this work?

I attach a file with my experiments and tentative implementation. (the colors
are used to debug)

Best
Max

JPEG image