Re: [Texmacs-dev] Guile 3 Integration based on GNU TeXmacs 2.1

From: Darcy Shen
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Guile 3 Integration based on GNU TeXmacs 2.1
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 2021 22:59:39 +0800

Here is the backtrace of my failed attempt:

---- On Sun, 2021-10-03 09:45:30 Darcy Shen via Texmacs-dev <texmacs-dev@gnu.org> wrote ----

Guile 3 on Windows is not mature enough.

I've successfully built GNU TeXmacs on Windows but failed to launch it. I think the root cause lies in GNU Guile.

GNU TeXmacs are using the legacy Smobs interface https://www.gnu.org/software/guile/manual/guile.html#Smobs .

My attempt for GNU TeXmacs with Guile 3.x on Windows failed on smob apply. Deprecate smobs interface and use
the Foreign Function Interface might fix it.

Here is the Guile 3 branch I am testing on:

---- On Sat, 2021-09-11 19:49:28 Darcy Shen via Texmacs-dev <texmacs-dev@gnu.org> wrote ----

I've tested the Guile 3 powered GNU TeXmacs on GNU Linux and macOS. It works perfectly!

Now the biggest problem is Windows!

Let me create a GNU TeXmacs 2.1 (Guile 3) windows installer. (I will have a 7-day holiday on October.)

If it still works fine. I think it is time to merge the guile3 pull request. Really excited.

---- On Sun, 2021-08-29 22:24:37 Darcy Shen via Texmacs-dev <texmacs-dev@gnu.org> wrote ----

CMake Integration is done now.

And building using CMake, launch a plugin, it does not crash.

For me, the next step is, make it work on Windows!

---- On Sun, 2021-08-22 23:21:37 Darcy Shen via Texmacs-dev <texmacs-dev@gnu.org> wrote ----

Now GNU TeXmacs 2.1 has been released. I think it is time to make GNU TeXmacs with GNU Guile 3 and then re-submit GNU TeXmacs to Debian.

I imported Max's branch into https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs and create a pull requests https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/pull/54

There are build guides on the pull request description part.

For the next following weeks or months. I will try to create pull requests to https://github.com/texmacs/texmacs/tree/guile3_branch_2.1 and use GNU TeXmacs with GNU Guile 3 daily.

Here is the TODO list for Darcy:

1. CMake Integration for GNU Guile 3
2. Fix crash issues when launch a plugin