Re: [Texmacs-dev] Darcy's plan for GNU TeXmacs 2.1.1

From: Massimiliano Gubinelli
Subject: Re: [Texmacs-dev] Darcy's plan for GNU TeXmacs 2.1.1
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 10:55:38 +0100

Dear all,
 some other remarks about possible schemes for TeXmacs.

- A problem with Guile 3 (and some other options) is that they use proper
unicode strings and this clashes with our liberal use of strings as byte
buffers. I had to do some hacky stuff to get things going in the impl.

- I think our scheme codebase does not really depend on any specific
implementation and we could try to keep it compatible with Guile 1.6, Guile
1.8, S7 and Guile 3 by havign all the specific code in some (one?) file and
keeping all the other generic. Pervasive changes are required for Guile 3 (due
to the fact that definitions are not possible in conditional code) but the
added code could be made no-op with macros in the other implementations.

- s7 seems to me a promising option. I think we could discuss with the main
developer to solve the issues we see: better symbol lookup in some situations
and better memory management.

Best
Max