[Tinycc-devel] Syncing caches

From: Jim Peters
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Syncing caches
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 20:14:07 +0000

Thanks for the work on TinyCC -- it has moved on a long way since I
last looked at it, now being able to output object files too.

Inspired by this style of code generation, I'm thinking of using
something similar to generate fast custom digital filters routines at
run-time for a filter library I'm writing.  I know I could use libtcc,
but inspired by the code-generation of tcc, I think that my filter
code is simple enough to be written straight out without going via C
or libtcc.

The only concern I have is about processor caches.  I remember a long
long time ago (Z80/6502/68000) when it was okay to write self-
modifying code, but then caches came along and it was no longer okay,
because the instruction cache could get out of sync.  Does this still
apply?  I looked through the code, and I couldn't find any OS call to
synchronize caches or anything like that.  Is it okay to just write
code to memory and then call it?

Many thanks for the help, and I'm sorry if this is in the code
somewhere and I've missed it.

Cheers --

Jim

--