Re: [Tinycc-devel] FreeBSD

From: Fabrice Bellard
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] FreeBSD
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 12:47:24 +0100

On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 05:37:46AM +0000, address@hidden wrote:
> Any *BSD would need support for a.out format.
> tcc supports only ELF binaries (linux) at the moment.
> may be a start would be to take the aout.h from gcc, in
> the same way as elf.h and start the supporting from here.
>
> Trying on OpenBSD, some headers are also Linux specific,
> so more code addition would be needed, such as sys/ucontext.h
> also make -> gmake to use the same makefile.
>
> I haven't tried under linux emulation however, it may require
> as much work anyway. The codebase of tcc is still small, which
> is neat. tcc is great. tcc c'est super, le charme de la vitesse
> et de la simplicite.
>
> Boris

The ELF generator is quite complicated, so I am relunctant to begin a
a.out generator. A closely related issue is that a PE COFF generator
is also needed for a Windows version of TCC. I see the following
solutions:

1) Use an ELF to a.out or ELF to PE COFF converter (objcopy ?).

2) Add BFD support in TCC for non ELF binary support.

3) Code a.out and PE COFF, if someone has the time to do it...

Fabrice.