Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc-0.9.24 release soon

From: KHMan
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] tcc-0.9.24 release soon
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:14:12 +0800

grischka wrote:
> From: "KHMan":
>
>> Binary releases calls for certain expectations from their uses.
>
> That is true, also it calls for certain users per se. But why
> exclude such users?  Programmers writing programs only for
> programmers has some boring aspect too, IMO.

That was a typo, I meant 'users'.

>>> On Tue, Mar 4, 2008 at 5:37 AM, grischka wrote:
>>>
>>>     Should we make a release now?
>> Sure, why not? If you want to be conservative, perhaps mark or
>> announce or document it as an unstable release.
>
> Hm, what would be the benefit of that?

You decide. I was just a commit monkey, and it's just a cheap
opinion. I was implying more of a 'minor release' concept, since
there have been many commits after a long while in wilderness, but
of course these are incredibly subjective concepts.

Some feedback is better than no feedback, right? Very little
traffic and hardly any replies to new postings these days. I've
tried to stay out of the way, and the moment I try one post, this
Rob guy jumps all over it. That's why I try to lurk these days; I
didn't want to tempt Rob. Rob should put me in his killfile, then
he wouldn't get distracted. *grin*

As for Rob's reply, thanks. My words are all just mere opinions,
and I respect diverse opinions. He shouldn't need to use so many
words to put his point across, one paragraph should be enough. Of
course Rob has a point, I don't disagree, but it doesn't change
the fact that *this* tcc severely lack resources. My concept of
'resources' also obviously includes 'interest'. *shrug*

Remember, please don't mistake me for an authoritative voice! I am
just a list member who was a commit monkey for a while. I don't
make policy for anyone here.

Win32 binaries is for grischka or Detlef to decide, my feedback
should very obviously not be construed as policy. Rob is a super
developer and is going great guns, sure, and pushing out binary
releases can be mostly automated, sure, but here we can't get
discussions on new patches and queries going, so why provide
binaries when we have failed to discuss or deal with feedback that
benefits tcc, such as RFC patches or user feedback? Unless
grischka or Detlef have dealt with those feedback privately... but
normally one discusses these things on-list, so please correct me
if I am wrong.

So there.

--
Cheers,