Re: [Tinycc-devel] i just can't get over how farging fast tcc is...

From: Aharon Robbins
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] i just can't get over how farging fast tcc is...
Date: Wed, 02 Feb 2011 22:14:42 +0200

Hi.

> Date: Tue, 1 Feb 2011 18:35:16 -0800 (PST)
> From: Rick Hodgin <address@hidden>
> Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] i just can't get over how farging fast tcc is...
> To: address@hidden
>
> Stephan,
>
> Bear in mind that while the compile time is fast, and the executable code
> is small and tight, the execution times may still be notably slower as
> there aren't optimizations like gcc has.

I have seen this also. I use tcc for testing gawk against a compiler
that isn't GCC. The configure and compile time are blazing, but the
run time for the executable is noticably larget on time consuming
programs.

There is also an issue with wide characters that I haven't tried yet
to isolate; if anyone wants to clone the gawk git repo  and run

        ./configure CC=tcc && make && make check

you'll see the failures.  I am using the mob branch from some months
ago on x86_64.

Thanks!

Arnold Robbins