Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC and "smart" linking

From: Oleg N. Cher
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TCC and "smart" linking
Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 20:30:32 +0300

grischka wrote:
Oleg N. Cher wrote:
Maybe there is a way in TCC to put fucntion Unused to a library, and it be linked to the target EXE/DLL, if only need?
Sure.  Linking "as needed" is the point of libraries in C and it works
with TCC like with any other C compiler.

Yes, you're right. But with one "but...". C compilers behavior has "a norm" to place whole piece of compiled source code to a library, if you're not cut this source to parts - then they will be compiled to different objects file. I need a small target code, and I wrote a tool that help the automatic cutting a source to be compiled as several *.o, and after this I've used standard ar to added to library *.a (TCC's tiny_libmaker.exe does not able to add to libraries). I don't like much this way, but if it is all what may be proposed to me by C compilers world (Delphi has no problems with similar things from ver. 1.0. Total Commander's distribution is hello wrom Pascal world).

Please, do not save compiler size, better save the size of binaries, produced by it. I say you "good bye".

Thanks to grischka.

Oleg N. Cher,
VEDAsoft Oberon Club
http://zx.oberon2.ru