Re: [Tinycc-devel] Fixes to bcheck and how it works correctly

From: grischka
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Fixes to bcheck and how it works correctly
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 16:19:50 +0100

Kirill Smelkov wrote:
Overall I liked original vstack and vtop assignment rules, only it had
to deal with initial vstack-1 somehow. And documentation about vstack
and vtop and everything else stays the same. I don't insist my way is
good 100% good though...

Yeah, that is the problem: we like the original and still it seems that
we need to change it.

Anyway, I tried both:
1) stay with pre-increment vtop, but replace any "vstack" by
   "vstack + 1" in place.

   Conclusion: doable but ruins the original design, somehow.

2) switch to post-increment vtop, using macros also:

       ST_DATA SValue vstack[VSTACK_SIZE], *vstack_top;
       #define vtop (vstack_top - 1)
       #define vdrop(n) (vstack_top -= n)

   and replace all "vtop--" by "vdrop(1)"

   Conclusion: pervasive but doable, does not waste vstack[0],
   might be slightly slower because all access "vtop->xxx"
   now includes offset -1.  vtop as macro is not that nice but
   has the advantage that it can't be lvalue, so that one can
   find any real vstack modification more easily by searching
   vdrop/vpop.

But I guess I like your solution best, for now.  ;)

Let's imagine that bcheck checks pointers only on dereference. Then
let's consider following:

    int a[10], b[10];

If we have p=&b[0], then do p--, how do we know whether there is no
bounds error for p? p points to correct memory &a[9], but it is out of
bounds - it started from b and crossed the limit.

That's why in lib/bcheck pointers are checked not only on indir, but
also on add. And that's why we have to pay the price. Btw - maybe "not
ansi" comment was there for a reason...

Yes, that was I wondered: How can it track relation between some
specific pointer variable and the associated memory region?  So as
you explain the trick (and price) is to watch (and restrict) pointer
arithmetics.

I'm figuring that there could be a way to just "memorize" pointer
arithmetics and postpone the check until real access later.  But that
might be a bigger project.

Nevermind. Here is what I've learned about how lib/bcheck.c works:

Memory is treated as regions. Every region could be either [...]

Great.  Please feel encouraged to put such details (also restrictions,
supported platforms etc.) into tcc-doc.html.  In order to help the
"1st class citizen bcheck" theme, I mean ;)

By the way the issue reminds me of some email that I received from