Re: [Tinycc-devel] Dynamic code generation

From: David Mertens
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Dynamic code generation
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2013 13:01:05 -0400

John -

On Wed, Aug 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi David.

On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 09:22:04PM -0500, David Mertens wrote:
> John -
>
> This is *very* interesting. One thing that I have been dreaming about is
> the ability to have some major module partially compile code once and then
> allow the "user" to plug in miscellaneous expressions and finish the
> compilation. It sounds like your patch might allow this sort of
> functionality, or be the first step towards something like that. :-D

Interesting idea. I think you will be restricted to using one state at a time.
States with overlapping lifetimes probably not going to work.
This is just a guess based on whatever I gathered from poking around
the source, havn't tried it myself.

Oh, I see. You are correct about multiple compiler contexts: my own tests with multiple compiler states revealed that TCC doesn't tolerate them. However, you can have multiple post-compiled contexts. This led me to collect lots of compiler state in Perl variables and assemble them together only just before compiling. Still, I like your idea about pausing the compiler and inquiring into its symbol table.

I'll try merging your patch into Alien::TinyCC's src/ dir and run it through a testers version on CPAN to see if it doesn't break anything.

> David
>

> On Sun, Aug 18, 2013 at 2:56 PM, <address@hidden> wrote:

[.. snip ..]

> > It seems necessary to carry around the entire TCCState when
> > only the memory for the code is really of interest. tcc_delete()
> > deletes the memory provided by the user

This assertion is most likely incorrect. It looks like tcc_delete()
does the right thing.

Haven't looked. I keep the whole thing around until the context's refcount drops to zero. Proper memory management, and thus exercising of libtcc's API, will take a higher importance after (if) this project gets more usage and traction in the Perl community.

John