Re: [Tinycc-devel] forward asm symbols vs static

From: Michael Matz
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] forward asm symbols vs static
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 2017 19:01:42 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Sat, 25 Nov 2017, grischka wrote:

<outfilename>.def is created automatically if an "export table" with
at least one symbol (with __attribute__((dllexport))) is created for
the dll or exe.

This is done so for convenience and corresponds to msvc behavior which creates .exp and .lib files automatically in that case because if the module (exe/dll) exports symbols then most likely in order to be linked with other modules at some point.

The observed effect - thanks to avih for the heads up - obviously
comes from the abuse of sym.a.dllexport in tccasm.c.  Whether there
could be a similar effect from using sym.a.dllimport - less likely
I'd think but maybe still possible.

Ah yes, that make sense. Thanks also to avih for the reproducer receipt on linux, I can investigate now.

However,... I see that end of the year we have other things to do.

Therefor, as it stands now, I'm tempted to suggest to you, Michael, to wait with release for that other idea that you did mention (with single symtab for both asm and C, etc.) to grow into shape.

I'm fine either way, I've started on the unification of the symtabs already, but will fix the .def file thingy separate from that.

After all, no need to hurry, what do you think?

My secret hope was for a christmas present (aka release) ;-) That still doesn't imply any hurry yet, but would be really nice.

Hmm, let's see ... I'm fairly sure to have the .def file problem fixed later today. The symtab unification I don't know yet, perhaps end of the weekend or next week. Basically I don't want the unification to delay a release until next year, if it would have otherwise happened this year. I don't know your end of year planning of course, if this weekend was your only time slot to do a release this year I would feel bad about being the reason for a delay until next year. If we only talk about a delay of one to three weeks I'll be happy about waiting for the unification.

Anyway, waiting on the .def bug now :)

Ciao,
Michael.