Re: [Tinycc-devel] Programmer to Programmer

From: avih
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Programmer to Programmer
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 2020 14:09:45 +0000 (UTC)

On Monday, September 14, 2020, 04:18:21 PM GMT+3, Thema <thema203@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have downloaded the latest version of the Tiny C Compiler but
> when I try to run a program compiled by it, I get an error message
> about the exec format being invalid. I suppose that the ELF header
> is not compatible with the current operating system in use. Is there
> another version of tcc that I can download and use?

You didn't state where you downloaded it from, but regardless, tcc
does not distribute binaries - you have to build it yourself.
The source is at: https://repo.or.cz/tinycc.git

If it doesn't work after you compiled it yourself, then you should
report it here at the mailing list together with platform details,
exact error messages, logs, and anything else you think is relevant.

Or, if your distribution provides it - you should contact them.

There is a sort of official win32 binary here:
http://download.savannah.nongnu.org/releases/tinycc/

But it sounds like you use linux, so it's not relevant to you.

> I noticed that the tcc compiler does not separate the
> compiler program and the linker program. I am in the
> process of developing an ELF64 linker for the Linux
> 64-bit Operating System called 'tgld'.I was wondering
> if you can include a weblink to the linker after testing.

This is my personal opinion only, but I don't see a relation
between the fact the the linker is built-in to adding a link
to an external linker.

If you think the internal linker is broken, then you should
report it here at the list, or, even better - suggest a fix.

Additionally, it doesn't sound like your linker is ready at
this point in time, and there are enough linkers out there
which people can use already if they prefer.

Bottom line, personally I don't see a reason to link to it.

- avih