[Tinycc-devel] Tcc code surprised me by being very slow and then some tc

From: Joshua Scholar
Subject: [Tinycc-devel] Tcc code surprised me by being very slow and then some tcc code surprised me by being fast
Date: Sat, 26 Dec 2020 12:05:08 -0800

I'm having fun getting to know the code, and writing features for tcc that I make sure don't require large changes to the project and that my additions themselves compile in tcc.

But when I tested a hash function, I was disheartened to find that spooky hash runs about 1/10 the speed compiled in tcc as compiled in gcc.   Although gcc compiled with a no optimization setting makes code that runs near the same speed as code compiled under tcc.

So I started thinking that for the project I'm working on maybe I'd do better to be learning to use LLVM than working on this.

But since I wondered, well maybe tcc is bad at heavily optimizable loops, but maybe it's ok on general code.

So I took a copy of tcc that had been compiled with the microsoft compiler and used it to compile itself, which of course goes MUCH faster than compiling it with microsoft.

Then I took the version of tcc that had been compiled under tcc and used it to compile itself.

And it still compiled so fast that I can hardly feel the difference.  I don't THINK it was 10 times slower.

So strange to be both impressed at how slow tcc's code is and how fast tcc's code is within an hour.

Joshua Scholar