Re: [Tinycc-devel] Scoping fix

From: Elijah Stone
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] Scoping fix
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2021 20:39:23 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021, Elijah Stone wrote:

On Thu, 21 Jan 2021, Michael Matz wrote:

You can't declare a struct in the declaration part of the for stmt (6.8.5p3), only objects of auto and register class.

Hmmm.  I think the spec is somewhat ambiguous here.

*snip*

FWIW Clang and 'The New C Standard: An Economic and Cultural Commentary' (https://people.ece.cornell.edu/land/courses/ece4760/cbook1_1.pdf) agree with GCC. But ICC, MSVC, and CompCert take the opposite view.

Another expression of the inconsistency, which I think makes it even clearer: under this interpretation, the first two of the following forms are allowed but the third is not:

// 1, ok
int i; for (i = sizeof(struct foo { int m; });;)

// 2, ok
int i = sizeof(struct foo { int m; });

// 3, not ok; why not?
for (int i = sizeof(struct foo { int m; });;)

I suspect that no one ever intended for it to be possible to declare an identifier inside of an expression, and now we're dealing with the fallout. I don't know if there's a _good_ solution, but I think that the most consistent option is to allow struct declarations there.

I've written a short paper on the topic outlining the problem and a few potential solutions for future versions of the spec; would appreciate any feedback: https://elronnd.net/sl.pdf

 -E