Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC -std=c2x support?

From: Christian Jullien
Subject: Re: [Tinycc-devel] TinyCC -std=c2x support?
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2021 07:02:38 +0200

Hello Grischka,

> Since when do we tell other people what to do and until when, in tinycc?

I'm sorry about that. You're right it is not my role.

I wrote this because I see many positive energies to improve TinyCC but we lack
clear directives to where we want to go and what it is allowed to do or not.
Some push (sometimes) wrong patches without asking other ask but get no
replies. They give up or, worse, fork!

I use daily tcc as my main C compiler but I still don't know what is its goal
and where it goes. Among things I understand (unsorted), tcc is:
- tiny, but it is no longer true, I prefer to say it is small.
- fast to compile, really true this time
- conforming to C standard (which ones?), what should be the main efforts?
        C90 probably almost complete
        C99 not complete, it lacks complex
        C11 most new features but other are missing
        C2X none, that's why I suggested to start support and add -sdt=c2x as
-std=c11
- Able to compile Linux kernel, which version? Chase recently made this
request: [FEATURE REQUEST] asm-goto and got no replies. Do we want to support
him?
- Compatible with gcc and VC++ (until which point?), for example to you want we
add __faststorefence() to allow concurrent access of SQLite on Windows as
recently proposed?

About commits, it would be nice to have a rule, like summit a patch and expect
a reply from maintainers within a "reasonable" amount of time: accepted,
rejected, postponed,
Another thing, I know it seems you're reluctant to make a new official version
(e.g. 0.9.28) but many distributions use only the official and quite old 0.9.27
version and users complain with bugs which have been fixed long ago. That's why
I added recently the git short version to -v option.
Can you consider to make a new official version anytime soon?

I probably miss many other things that will help us (and maintainers) to know
how improve tcc.

Christian

P.S. we all love tcc

> Hi no one complains or comments, I suggest you push your patches end of June

Since when do we tell other people what to do and until when, in tinycc?

-- gr