toon-members

Re: [Toon-members] Bug report: TooN - missing function (fwd)

From: Edward Rosten
Subject: Re: [Toon-members] Bug report: TooN - missing function (fwd)
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 18:03:16 -0600 (MDT)

On Tue, 15 May 2007, Gerhard Reitmayr wrote:

I am all for opening up the mailing lists.

Sounds good. Do you opt for creating a second open list?

Unrelated question about the patch:
what is this method used for?

I don't know, but it was there.

do we want such a not-type-safe API?

I have naver used it, and I can't see why you would. But it seems that someone wants to.

It would seem to be better make the user decide between using the copy
constructor or the reinterpret_cast...

I was wondering about this. It seems that it is implementation defined or undefined, since inheritence and even non-trivial constructors precent a struct from being POD. So you can't cast a pointer to the class to a pointer to the first member.

struct a{ float d[4]};
struct b{ float d[4]};

I think in the above case you can cast a pointer to an "a" to a pointer to a "b".

However, TooN makes use of reinterpret_cast a lot everywhere, so I don't think it matters having it there.

the fact that none of the known users complained, indicates that is was
not used at all anyway.

Well, Ville Kyrki became a known user by complaining...

-Ed