toon-members

Re: [Toon-members] TooN bug? (affects libCVD)

From: Ethan Eade
Subject: Re: [Toon-members] TooN bug? (affects libCVD)
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 18:18:27 +0100

This is because the return value of slice() is not a reference, and GCC isn't allowed to convert it to a non-const reference. To get around this problem, I long ago added cast operators to DynamicMatrix, which just turn an instance into a non-const reference. GCC is not technically supposed to use these, but it did anyway. Now it is finally refusing to do so. So the options are:

1.  Add operator methods directly to DynamicMatrix.
2. Add a ref() method to DynamicMatrix which returns a reference to itself, and then do:
         m.slice(0,0,3,3).ref() += ....
[This is what people do, using the flush() method, in order to use temporary ostreams: (ostringstream().flush() << stuff_to_output).str() ]

3. Define special operator functions that take wrapper objects to the things that slice() returns, and handles them appropriately

The first one will look nicer for the user, but will duplicate the operator code in TooN, and make maintenance difficult. The second will be annoying and non-uniform for the user, but will work. I haven't worked out the details of the third option. How annoying.

- Ethan